Long Painting Company (LPC) is looking for a motivated individual to estimate complex new construction and maintenance coating projects in the Northwest. Industrial projects include: shipyards, bridges, tank farms, factory maintenance painting, dams and infrastructures. Commercial projects include: Campus facilities, schools, hotels, high rises, hospitals, and office parks. New construction and repaint projects range from $5,000 to several million. LPC may employ up to 300 employees during peak months and typically conducts 25-40 projects at once.
Estimators are given both goals for bidding and profitability. Comprehension of economic factors, time management, risk, bid accuracy and attention to detail are important for success
- Quantity take-off (on-screen, paper, on-site) and pricing for estimates using estimating software and LPC procedures to determine labor, material and equipment costs. Organize material, equipment and subcontractor quotes.
- Analyze bid documents and understand contractual terms and conditions. Prepare proposals using a combination of Word, Excel, Adobe and estimating software.
- Effectively manage time in order to annually achieve bid volume, sales, and profit goals in relation to meeting weekly deadlines.
- Familiar with CBA, local labor, and environmental impacts and requirements.
- Understand and integrate industry standards into the bidding process as it affects production rates, QA- QC, requirements, and contract language.
Integration with Production Team
- Actively participate in project handoff and initial planning on projects with the project team (Project Manager, Superintendent, Engineer and Foreman).
- Review contract scope of work for awarded projects to ensure the contracts include only what was bid.
- Consult with clients, vendors and other project related individuals to discuss costs and professionally resolve issues.
- Perform job walks and site visits in order to troubleshoot issues, examine existing conditions, and conduct pricing for change orders.
- Write proposals and provide follow up with the customer through the closing of the sale. Follow up on project bids in order to obtain bid results.
- Provide excellent customer service to customers and attend core customer events. Occasionally visit core customer offices. Create and foster profitable relationships.
- Provide ROM/conceptual budgets for core customers when requested.
- Prefer but not required, basic knowledge of floor, tank, marine, and concrete coatings, surface preparation, various abrasive blasting techniques, abatement, fireproofing.
- Prefer but not required, 1-2 years’ experience estimating commercial and residential projects: High-rises, data centers, hotels, universities, tenant improvements, mansions etc.
- Familiar with industry standards for maintaining quality certifications. Be aware of quality control requirements for protective coating projects.
- Demonstrate solid understanding of construction management fundamentals such as, project management, scheduling, estimating, SDS, contracting, and site safety.
- Demonstrate sold written and oral communication skills. Seek out professional development and continuing education opportunities.
- Analyze contract language, scope of work, and construction schedule. Quickly compute numbers with solid understanding of basic algebra and geometry.
- Manage time to meet bid deadlines while not compromising accuracy and protocol.
- Able to integrate technology into the job:
- Able to operate a smartphone or tablet in order to quickly process information.
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proficient in estimating programs and customer relationship management software such as Hard Dollar (estimating program) and Project Sales Achiever (CRM).
- Prefer associates, or university program certificate in construction management or civil engineering
- 2-3 years’ experience in the construction industry is preferred.
- Previous construction management experience or applicable job experience.
- Pass a pre-employment drug screen.
- Have reliable transportation; driving record that is insurable.
- Show proof of citizenship or authorization to work in the U.S.
- Pass a background check (typically 10 years back) to get into facilities such as plants, military installations, prisons, etc.
Typical Work Hours and Job Setting
- Schedule is operations dependent, generally Monday – Friday from approximately 7:30 am – 4:00 pm. Flexible scheduling is expected and allowed.
- Work sites will vary from the office to various construction sites located primarily in the greater Seattle and Portland areas.
- Combination business casual attire and appropriate construction attire/personal protective equipment (PPE) from working in the office to the job site.
When applying, please attach a cover letter and resume. Salary is based on experience; includes a full benefits package. Contact the Workforce Development Manager for more information at (253) 234-8095.